real time web stats

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Another Review of Book #1 from a Rainard Student

I am conducting a trial of the final manuscript for book #1, "The Saeshell Book of Time: Part 1: The Death of Innocents" at The Rainard School for Gifted Students in Houston, Texas. A second 13 year old girl has finished reading book #1 and wrote the following review of the book:


One of the many points/rules of writing is to keep your reader intrigued, always asking questions, for if there is no mystery, than why go any further into the book. Of course you do not want to completely disorientate your reader, for they will become discouraged. The perfect balance is often hard to find, but the mistake I most often find is I find myself bored with the questions, or repulsed by the lack of intrigue. This book does not contain that mistake.

I can say I was never bored, discouraged, or found myself wishing there was more mystery involved. All the information given was interesting and meaningful, and I always wanted more. The book is mostly filled with narratives of different characters lives. The beauty of this design is it seemingly gives you so much information, but you never feel fully satisfied. It makes you stay up late, yawning sleepily, thinking to yourself just one more chapter. I find myself comparing the questions I ask in the story to a Hydra from Greek mythology; you knock off one head, two more pop up. 

I also admire how much of the book is written in present tense. I find it strange how often I open up a book to find it is written in past tense. It seems to me, that present tense should make more sense, unless there is a specific reason for the past tense usage.

I love the science fiction aspect that is so advanced it seems like magic. It gives the science fiction parts a lighter feel. The combination of drama and humor is balanced perfectly. Too much drama is too heavy. The humor is important to lighten the load. The characters are amiable, intriguing, and humorous at times. Though the book is mostly focused on the characters histories, there are enough characters that you always have at least two people you want to know more about.

This book is written well, it is smart, and it keeps you interested. I plan to dive into and devour any more books Rusty Biesele is willing to write. 


No comments:

Post a Comment