real time web stats

Monday, August 15, 2011

Excerpt from Book 2: The Saeshell Book of Time

I'm currently working on Book #2, incorporating the suggestions of a professional editor. I thought these paragraphs exemplify some of the strong emotion that run through the book. So here it is, an excerpt from The Saeshell Book of Time: Part 2: The Rebirth of Innocents:

Stefan stands back from the couch and just stares. He doesn’t know what to do next. All he can do is stand there and watch his mum breathing; she looks much like she did that happy morning he went to see the artists in the market. The immediately visible change is the black Peter-style pajamas she is wearing with white Paul stripes on the sleeves; her long blond ponytail is now punctuated by the multiple bright red streaks running through it.

Stefan whispers quietly to his mum from across the room as if she is awake. “Mum, you were the one thing in my life I thought would never change. I could accept my changes because I knew you would always be there, solid and strong as rock.”

Tova2 eyes become wet. She tries to maintain control of emotions for the sake of her distraught love.

“What have I done to you, mum. Look at how I’ve changed you. How can you ever forgive me for killing dad. Will you forgive for tearing my sister from your body and storing her in computer. How could you? How could you ever forgive me?

“What do I do? I don’t know where to start. Hi, your son, the butcher, has just brought you back to life and killed your husband? And by the way, do you know you are pregnant, Mum, and we have taken the baby out of you and aged her three years.”

Tova2 says softly, “How about just starting out with ‘I love you, Mum, I’m so glad you are alive,’ and see where things go from there? Once you prove she is really here, I can get my hands out of this machine and be with you.”

Those words, “prove she is really here”, struck Stefan as if they were a lightning bolt. The fact that his mum is back, but might be disintegrated by the love of his life at any moment, was almost too much to bear.

“Containment field dropped,” announces Tonya.

“Go on over, Stefan,” says Tova2 gently. “Paul with Numbers will be there with you.”

Paul25 flies down and gives Stefan a long hug. “Come on, Stefan, let’s wake your mom. I like your mom and I want her back.”

Paul25 took Stefan’s hand and led him to the medical couch. “Climb up there and hug her. The first few seconds after awakening are the most disturbing and disorienting. If there is something firm from your former life to fix on, it makes the transition so much easier.”

Stefan dutifully climbed up on the couch, hugging his mom and whispering into her ear, “Come back to me, Mum, come back to me, I need you so badly now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment